Dental examinations are a crucial component of medical care. The skilled specialists who work to keep it clean and healthy and to stop the development of significant oral health issues are your dentist and dental hygienist.
You must visit your dentist every six months. However, dental checkups are more than just an x-ray and a tooth health evaluation; they are comprehensive health assessments that improve your general health. It is always possible to take advantage of these dental cleanings and exams in Red Deer, even if you haven’t gone in years or missed a few visits.
Benefits of Dental Checkups
Your dentist will search for any indications of tooth decay and subsequent cavities during your routine checkup. These issues can potentially spread to a tooth’s root and beyond, infecting the pulp or soft tissue located in the core of the tooth.
A dental exam, however, involves much more than just looking for cavities and deterioration. Dental examinations can reveal a variety of other problems, such as:
- Oral cancer. Dentists diagnose the majority of malignancies of the mouth and throat during routine examinations. If cancer is found in its early stages, there is a good chance of survival.
- Gum illness. One of the main causes of tooth loss, periodontal disease, or gum disease, may be indicated by deep crevices between your teeth and gums. The Canadian Dental Association estimates that 70% of people will experience gum disease at some point.
- Other health issues. Your dentist will examine whether you suffer from foul breath or halitosis. Several conditions, such as diabetes, lung difficulties, or oral yeast infections, can bring on this condition.
Advantages of Dental Cleanings
Oral prophylaxis, or professional teeth cleaning, by a dentist or dental hygienist removes bacteria, plaque, and tartar accumulations that can occur even with consistent brushing and flossing.
Dental practitioners delicately remove these deposits with specialized equipment. Plaque that becomes tartar, or dental calculus, may only be removed by a dentist.
To remove stains and leave your mouth feeling incredibly clean, your dental cleaning will also entail flossing in between your teeth and polishing. Your dentist in Red Deer can treat the issue if you have plaque accumulation below the gum line with a process known as scaling, a specific type of dental cleaning frequently employed in gum disease patients.
Professional cleanings not only improve your smile and breath but also help prevent gum disease, cavities, and tooth loss. Furthermore, research has demonstrated the connection between general health and dental hygiene, and regular dental cleanings can reduce the risk of conditions like diabetes, cancer, lung infections, heart disease, and stroke.
Preventing Oral Health Problems
Maintaining good dental health can benefit your overall health and give you a beautiful smile. Six-monthly dental cleanings and exams are usually plenty, but depending on your oral health, you might require more frequent visits.
Although it may not be the most exciting appointment of the year, having to go to the dentist near you twice yearly for a cleaning and examination is one of the most crucial. Frequent cleanings and examinations of the teeth can prevent issues before they arise.
Dental examinations can:
- Help to prevent dental decay.
- Help you avoid expensive procedures, which will ultimately save you money.
- Assist in diagnosing any issues related to your general health.
- Eliminate accumulated stains.
- Maintain the strength of your tooth enamel.
- Provide you with sparkling teeth you can proudly display.
Schedule Your Next Dental Exam with Us!
Comprehensive examinations and cleanings at Alpen Dental, which prioritizes preventative dentistry, can help protect your oral and overall health. We are here to help guide you on your unique oral hygiene journey.
Don’t wait; book your appointment with us today!