Children’s Dental Health Near Red Deer
Your child’s first dental visit is an exciting milestone of development and can also be a little scary. You want to instill good dental hygiene in your children so they are healthy and not afraid of the dentist. By starting them out young in a warm and welcoming environment like Alpen Dental in Blackfalds, your children will appreciate good pediatric dental care and oral health.
Your Child’s First Visit to the Dentist
Knowing what to expect can help ease tensions for you and your child at this first visit. You should schedule a visit to the dentist just after your child’s first birthday. The compassionate staff at Alpen Dental will examine your child’s teeth and gums and possibly provide some gentle cleaning.
At this first visit, you may be asked to hold your child in your lap in the dental chair. This arrangement is usually more comfortable for children and allows parents to be involved in the examination. If your child is cooperative, the dentist may take some X-rays to track tooth development below the gum line and check for any possible decay.
Fluoride is an important element to your child’s growing teeth. The dentist will assess your child’s need for additional fluoride and may apply some topically. Fluoride protects young teeth from decay, giving them the chance to grow strong and healthy.
At Alpen Dental, children’s dental care in Red Deer also includes a review of proper home dental care procedures. The dentist will demonstrate proper brushing and flossing techniques to reinforce good oral hygiene. You may have questions about how to care for your child’s first teeth, and they can be answered on these pediatric dental visits.
Preparing Children for Their First Dental Visit
Childhood includes many important firsts, like first haircut or first trip to the shoe store. Preparing children for their initial encounter with a dentist can take some of the anxiety out of the experience. Here are some tips for handling your child’s first dental visit:
- Give your child a tour of the office
- Include references to the dentist in their regular reading material
- Share positive experiences about dentistry from your own childhood
- Discuss what will happen at the first visit
Here is the procedure for your child’s first visit to the dentist:
- Your child’s mouth, gums and teeth will be gently examined.
- Adverse habits like thumb sucking will be discussed.
- Your child’s need for additional fluoride will be evaluated.
- You and your child will receive instructions for cleaning your child’s teeth.
- You will receive a recommendation for regular dental visits.
Preventative Dental Care for Children
The highest goal is to prevent cavities and gum disease, so your child can maintain good dental health. As soon as your baby has their first teeth, there is a possibility for decay. Here are some tips for preventing tooth decay from the beginning:
- Avoid sticky foods.
- Do not overindulge in sugary drinks.
- Include treats with meals rather than as stand-alone snacks.
- Choose healthy snacks.
- Develop good habits of brushing, flossing and rinsing.
You can help prevent your child from suffering tooth decay between dental visits by monitoring food and drink intake and encouraging healthy oral hygiene habits.
Contact Alpen Dental in Blackfalds or Rimbey today to schedule your child’s first dental visit and begin a lifelong habit of dental health.